Monday, December 4, 2023

Virtual Christmas Cookie Exchange

                                                                                          


Welcome! Today is my day to share the Virtual Christmas Cookie Exchange. Thank you to Carol from Just Let Me Quilt for organizing this hop every year.  My recipe isn't exactly a cookie, but it is a delicious snack and a nice little gift idea.

Sweet Roasted Nuts

1 bag of pecan halves (or 1 1/2 cups)
1 bag of walnuts (or 1 1/2 cups)

Melt 1/2 stick of butter, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, a pinch of salt and a little vanilla in a sauce pan.

Coat the nuts in the mixture and then spread on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. You will know when they are done when you smell them!

Cool on wax paper before storing

I found these little canning jars at Target, and they are the perfect size for gift giving.

These are so delicious to eat and you could make someone very very happy!

**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~****~~**~~**

Many years ago my friend and I made Peppermint Trees table decorations for a Christmas luncheon.  Over the years I've made the trees to give as gifts. They are great for co-workers, friends, teachers or for the person who has everything :-)

Start with these basics -



I've always used hairpins, but you can use straight pins too.  I like the hairpins best because you just pull a candy off the tree and the pin stays in place. No worries about discarding a straight pin.

Start with the bottom layer


 You can make the candies as tight or loose as you prefer.  I like to leave a little space between rows.

The closer you get to the top, you will need to angle the pins into the styrofoam.  
Cut pieces of thin green ribbon and pull them into a knot (not too tight) 
 then insert another hairpin


 which goes right into the tree.

Put as many or as few ribbons into the tree as you like.  I loop ribbon into another hairpin and stick it into the top of the tree.

14 comments:

Calicojoan said...

My hubby isn't all that wild about a lot of sweet stuff, but he would love those nuts. I am definitely going to make a batch for his Christmas stocking this year! Thanks for sharing that recipe with us. Love the peppermint tree. What a fun project with the grandies.

Carol said...

Wow, those nuts look really good, and they're easy to make--even better! The peppermint tree is a cute idea! Thanks for sharing!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I may have to try those nuts. My mother made those peppermint trees when I was in school.

Karrin Hurd said...

The Sweet Roasted Nuts sound delicious, and the Peppermint Trees are a wonderful idea. Thanks so much for sharing!

Danette said...

Such a cute and tasty Christmas tree! Wonderful idea! Thank you for the roasted nuts recipe, too! I will have to try it. Yum!

Carol Swift said...

These are two really wonderful gift ideas, Jocelyn! I can already smell those nuts baking in my oven (or I will when I toss them in there.) They sound and look delicious! I remember making a candy mint tree like that when I was young. So fun! Thank you for being a part of this blog hop tradition! xo

Quilting Gail said...

The nuts look so simple and delicious! A great gift! Thanks for sharing!

LJ said...

I love nuts so this recipe is spot-on for me. I'll try it for the holidays. Thanks for the tut on the peppermint candy tree - so cute.

Inflorescencedesigns said...

Adorable peppermint tree and your candied nuts sound so good.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

I love gift jars and nuts. This is a great idea! Your peppermint tree is so cute. Thanks for sharing.

Charlene McCain said...

I love candied nuts! They are so delicious and make such great gifts. I absolutely love your peppermint tree. What a clever idea to use hairpins. I will have to give both of these goodies a try.

Sharon said...

What cute gift ideas! Thank you, and Merry Christmas!

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

I love the idea of the candied nuts in a jar as a gift, and the peppermint tree is fantastic!! Thanks for sharing both with us! xx

Danice G said...

All wonderful treats. That peppermint tree is really cute.