Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I finally did it!

Something has been brewing in my head for a while now.

I have been fascinated with Karen Griska's Selvage Blog. She has showcased so many wonderfully creative things made with a piece of fiber that we have thrown away for years. I am in awe at the creativity which comes across her path.

Recently I found a very cute doll form. It was just an interesting item that caught my fancy. I brought the form home, and even though I am not a garment sewer, it has been fun to look at the form and think about how to use it. But a vision kept coming into my mind. Can you guess what it was??

Selvages............

I don't have a very large selvage stash, but surely there would be enough for this. And I can always cut some selvages from my fabric stash ;-)

And so it grew......

Until we went from this............
















to this...................



I found some pretty little buttons at the fabric store yesterday, and just had to add it to the dress.

And if you will bear with me for just one more selvage project.

My dear sweet husband and I have never had the same cell phones. But recently we both ended up with the same phone and holster. So every once in a while we are looking at a phone and asking "is this mine??", or "have you seen the holster for my phone?"

Well as I was playing with the selvages, I thought I would try to make something to distinguish my phone holster from his.

This is what I started with.

Slip cover.

Betcha he won't be taking that one to the office.

26 comments:

blushing rose said...

Jocelyn, that creation is adorable. I continue to marvel you gals & these selvage edge creations you come up with. Darling. TTFN ~Marydon

Sunshine said...

What a neat idea!

And about the apron: I thought it was full size at first and wondered where in the world you get selvages that must be at least 2" wide, kind of like fabric for myopic people, haha, like extra large playing cards, THEN I realized those a thread spools right behind the apron, and it all fell into place. It seems like a lot of work to do something miniature like this, be you'll get featured on the selvage blog!

Cheers,
Christine

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

oh i think that is the sweetest!

Pat said...

How cute!!! And good idea about the cell phone case, too.

Loralynn said...

The doll form apron is absolutely darling! Great job!

Crispy said...

Well how cute is that!! I love how you marked your cell phone, no guy would want to be caught with all the fabric "stuff" on his phone LOL.

Darlene said...

Very cute!

Helen said...

Very ingenuious!

Isn't it fun to C R E A T E ???

Julia said...

I love it! I have never saved my selvages, but I will start doing so now. I remember that dress you were talking about. I love the cellphone holster ides

CindieQuilts said...

I don't get the selvage thing. There are so many awesome fabrics to work with, I just wouldn't waste time on sewing selvages. To each her own, I guess. But the doll form is cute!

Vivian said...

Selvages & rickrack look adorable together. Totally cute projects, both the dress form & the cellphone holster. Great girlie ideas!

Quilt Rat said...

That is just way too cute!.......and it is just the beginning you will not be able to stop creating with selvages :-)

Anya said...

That apron is so cute! You must send a photo to Karen Griska.

quilting gran said...

Girl, you are just too clever. Love the cell phone holster add-on.

Unknown said...

Great selvage work , love it !

Red Geranium Cottage said...

I LOVE the apron!! And the cell phone cover. I'm pretty sure your hubby wont use it now. lol

Violaine said...

Both great projects !!!
I love the phone cover !

Barb said...

How very clever...for both the apron and the cell phone cover.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

How Fun!!! Not to mention cherfull....it put a smile on my face as soon as I saw it. The mind is always working....I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

How about selvage earrings? House shoes, toilet paper cover, little boys boxers, braclet, dog bandana.....oh I have to get back to my coffee....I just love seeing what you are making :)
Smiles,
Kelly

RosaMarĂ­a said...

lovely dress!!! you did a very creative job!!!

Tammy said...

Adorable! *sigh* I will need to save my selvages now :-)

Micki said...

The apron is wonderful! What an incredible job you did on it!
Micki

Amy Friend said...

I just love the doll form apron! I hope you sent a picture of it to Karen. It is adorable.

Selvage Quilter said...

What a great idea! I love it. The little buttons are such a nice finishinig touch too. Delightful sewing studio art.
Karen

CJ said...

LOVE that little apron! SOOO sweet!

imquilternity said...

Oooooh....I love the selvage dress! How cute is that!!