Wednesday, June 3, 2009

ONE of my favs

We are fortunate to have several very nice local quilt shops in our area. One of my favorites is called The Patchwork Pig.

It is a very fun shop that is housed in an old (very old) drug store. The ceilings and the bricks are all original. But more then that, this great quilt shop has such a wonderful selection of fabrics. They carry a lot of fabric that I have not been able to find in other shops in our area. I like to pop over there when I need any kind of reproduction, from Civil War to 30's. They also carry a big selection of batiks, novelty fabrics, beautiful florals (another fav of mine) and they are the only shop that continues to do Lynette Jensens club. There is also a very gracious selection of patterns and books.

Lots of great samples to see as well. Here's a peek through the window.


Very nicely organized fabrics.

When I was reading FabTalk this morning, they were talking about how many crafters purchase their goods from chain stores instead of independent shops. I have found that the prices of the chain stores are closer to the same prices as the independent shops, but the LQS has much better quality of fabric. AND if you time your purchases, you can get a nice little discount when your LQS has a sale. If you would like to see what FabTalk is sharing, go here.

So if you are ever near the little town of Lakeland Florida, pop over to Patchwork Pig. They are right in the heart of downtown. Not too far from the major central Florida attractions. And we all know that the best theme park attraction is a Quilt Shop. Right??


14 comments:

Micki said...

I love the name of the quilt shop and really everything about it. I would love to visit there! I really enjoyed reading the post. If you ever visit here, you will find our quilt shop as quaint and delightful!
Micki

dream quilt create said...

I recently moved to Ocala and have been searching for good fabric stores. Thanks for the info, I will definately check that store out!

blushing rose said...

Great info/input .. TY for sharing.
TTFN ~Marydon

quilting gran said...

I love going to "the pig". Maybe we can meet there this winter and then do lunch.

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

Cute name for a quilt shop. I learned my lesson early about buying the fabric from any place other than a quilt shop.

Crispy said...

Wow great quilt shop!! We don't have any as nice as that in my area of ND but we do have 3 LQS's. My favorite one is the smallest but Angie will order anything that I ask her to and they have the nicest employees.

I almost always buy from an independent quilt shop, first at home and then online. I NEVER go to JoAnn's or Hancocks...I just don't like their fabrics....but I'm a fabric snob LOL.

Crispy

Violaine said...

Looks like a very nice place to spend hours !

http://boitadamocamelia.canalblog.com

Anonymous said...

I do so enjoy reading your blog and the LQS you feature today is a dream for some of us. Nothing like that here in rural western new york state. I have been reading for a while - took a minute today to register as a follower. I'd love to stop for "Tea" however -- the trip is a little long, so I'll enjoy mine here and think of you. Keep posting, love to read about your "Loves"
Carol

Amy Friend said...

I'd shop there just for the cute bag with the patchwork pig on it!
Yup, I am still here. No baby yet!

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Oh how I would love to come down there and stomp around the area again. Such fond family memories. I love the name of the shop and cute sign.

Pat

Becky said...

We don't have many fabric buying options here but there is one really cute and jam-packed local store that I love, love, love!!!

Thanks for sharing yours!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Thanks for the peak inside your local store - I love seeing different quilt shops - they are all so beautiful.

Vickie E said...

My in-laws and cousins live in Lakeland..so I have been to the Patchwork Pig several times..love it..

Diane said...

Oh I love that shop! When my husband was transfered to Florida before my son and I joined him he was staying in Lakeland. I found the shop on one of my adventures with the GPS and fell in love.