Friday, April 14, 2023

Where do you create

Where do you do your creative work? Where do you draw your creative juices from?? Do you cut, pin and sew at the dining room table?

For years I always did the bulk of my sewing at the dining room table. It worked for me because we also had a kitchen table. Which actually came in handy if my family wanted to eat. One day my dear husband asked if I would like to set up my sewing area in the den? Now our little den was pretty small, and it was the hub of activity for computer use. We also had an older TV in there for videos and DVD watching. But just having a place to set up my sewing machine and "not have to take it down" every few days was such a wonderful gift to me.

The majority of my sewing was done right here. I have this wonderful old wardrobe that my hubby refinished and painted for me. He added shelves so that I could store my stash.

Then we moved............. So my sewing machine was relegated to the Laundry room. 

It was a tight squeeze and my cutting table was in another room.

Then my son got married and a room became available.  And I quickly moved in.

So this is what my sewing room looks like now. I've moved and re-arranged the furniture several times, trying to find the best working arrangement. 


So tell me, where do you create?

3 comments:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

YOur set up now seems nice and roomy. For a number of years I used the dining room and didn't like it but Tony had the spare room as his office. Moving to this house meant I had a room to use as a sewing room. It is not big enough for a cutting table but it holds everything I have and I love the window view. Happy Stitching!

JustGail said...

Our first house, I had a corner of the 2nd bedroom that also functioned as an office. Then DS came along and my sewing moved to a corner in the dark, cold, unfinished basement. Then it was in the extra bedroom of the current house. Then when DS moved out, I gradually moved the quilting fabrics, then the cutting table, then the ironing board to his room.
DH sometimes asks if I would like to move it all to the basement, but I say no. Because
- the basement, even a nice dry one with lots of light, finished walls and drop ceiling...meh. The only view is of the mess under the deck.
- The big reason is I'm seriously afraid that if I had more room, I'd end up filling all that up too.

Your current sewing room is very nice! I love that you have blank walls to hang some finished projects and pretty things.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

One of the reasons I have so many UFO's is because I used to sew on the dining room table (projects would get lost when I had 'help' moving things to the basement so that we could use the dining room table). I' took over my youngest son's room when he went to college. I'm ready to re-do my sewing room soon (changes that need to be made). I still have fabric, etc in many places in the house besides the sewing room. Also, I still set up my Janome on the dining room table when I want to machine quilt. At the moment, I have a sewing machine set up in my father-in-laws computer room (we're here for 3 weeks).