Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Cravings...........

As the clock strikes 3:00, are you overcome with a strong need for chocolate? Or do you hear the potato chips calling? I have often wondered why I sometimes have food cravings. Surely scientists will tell you that it is a drop in your blood sugar, or emotions or (gasp) hormones!
A clinical professor at Boston University says that I may crave carbs because eating them triggers the release of serotonin, a mood-calming neurotransmitter.

I am sure there is all kinds of scientific studies and data to tell me why I have food cravings. But what scientist has studied the need for fabric?? I know many many blogs talk about going on a fabric diet, squelching your stash, donating orphan and unloved textiles. But I NEED FABRIC! Just coming within a mile of a fabric shop requires a fabric fix. Stroking some fabric sometimes helps to forestall the need. But how long will it last?

Last week we drove 1 1/2 hours to the only fabric shop in range. We walked into the Gardener's Quilt shop in Jackson GA and took deep breaths. It was like getting oxygen when you are lacking it. We wandered from room to room, just taking in all of the fabrics and quilt samples. I knew that I did not NEED any fabric, but there were so many lovely fabrics just begging to be taken home. I found a cute little pattern that makes up into a small project.

And you know how hard it is to find nice pieces of Reproduction fabrics in black prints. And there was a lovely red too.
I was very happy to find some complimentary fabrics to add to my repro collection. (I was good, I promise. I didn't go overboard. Just a little for serotonin).

On the way home, we made a stop just at the GA/FL line. And what should we find, but a new Quilt store (Gone Quiltin at Exit 5) in the shopping center. Of course I had to check it out. They have only been open two months, but it was a very cute store. They had some delicious samples and a nice selection of fabric. But you know sometimes you don't buy fabric when you go to a quilt shop. Sometimes there are other things that draw you in.

Like -



and -


I may have to change my banner :-)

10 comments:

andsewon said...

I feel ya gal pal.. I feel ya!! Ha!
I am in withdrawal from not feeling like going to Fat Tuesday at the LQS near me ;-(
I also do this in a book store.. love that new page smell!!!

Unknown said...

When I first read the blog, I thought...she needs rhubarb coffee cake...but you are right, it's hard to resist the need of a fix of fabric.
I too just love to feel the different fabrics at the stores and the fat quarters that one can mix and match...great stuff.

AverettLadyNana said...

I hear ya! I get those potato chip, chocolate, fabric cravings all the time too!

Want to let you know I got to the PO today and mailed your "What is it?" Prize. Said two day delivery. Wild envelope! Inside that padded one is a plain Jane one. Didn't have a padded one the ruler would fit into...but the PO did so I dropped the unpadded on in it to help protect the ruler...and it will brighten your mailbox too!

Kaaren said...

I think my body is in seratonin overdrive.

Do you think that if we eat carbs before going into a quilt shop that our fabric 'cravings' will be subdued?

L. jane E. said...

I truly think that sometimes fabric is a NEED, obviously when your in the middle of a project and don't have quite the right print, but also I think that for fabric lovers there is an emotional need to. It's like a drug, sometimes you really need a hit. I've come to terms with this. I'm still working on husband!

blushing rose said...

Time for a munch break ... TTFN ~ Marydon

Micki said...

Yes, chocolate is my thing...I love it ! Also, a 99 cone is so yummy! I love your fabric! I just got a bunch in the mail, and it was lovely looking at it all. Fabric is very addictive, and we quilters never have enough fabric.
Micki

Rhondi said...

I like to think of my need for fabric as a harmless addiction :)

Nancy said...

I think the chocolate fairy comes about 3pm and says . . . eat some candy . . . eat some chocolate . . . buy a teacup . . . have some soda . . . eat some chips . . . buy more fabric. I love your blog!
Nancy

Crispy said...

LOL, I'm glad you didn't OD on the seretonin fix. I really hated the retro type fabrics when they came out....want to explain to me why all of a sudden I have a need to buy some?

Crispy