Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Friends

 


Friends. What does that word mean to you?? How have friends influenced your life?? There seems to be different types of friendships. Fair weather friends, passing friendships, heart friends, lifelong friends.

When I was a little girl, I had a good friend. We did a lot of things together. But as would happen, we moved away and I lost contact with that friend.

After we moved to another state it was hard to make new friends. But there was a girl in school that befriended me. Her name was Dorothy. She was so sweet to me and I felt loved and liked. We stayed friends all through high school. But then she got married, had a baby, and our friendship waned.

As we forge into the next step of life, I've met other gals whom I've befriended. Yet there had never really been that "heart" friend. You know the one that you can share your deepest thoughts with, and know that they will go no farther then her ear.

One day I met Diana. She was such a warm and likable person. And she was everybody's friend. Through the years she became my BFF. We would talk together almost every day. She was giving and hospitable. She loved life and laughed a lot. But the one thing about Diana that made her special, was her unselfish love. She loved unconditionally. Now that's the kind of friend a body needs. 19 years ago she lost her battle with cancer. And I have missed her so much.

What does it mean to have such a special friend??

"Oh the comfort, the inexpressible comfort, of feeling safe with a person. Having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words. But to pour them all out just as they are, chaff and grain together, knowing that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then, with the breath of kindness, blow the rest away." (George Eliot)

Take a moment and write a note or call your special friend. Let them know you love them and how much they have invested in your life. It will only take a few minutes, but the rewards will last a life time.

                                                       Love Your Creativity
                                                      Saturday Sparks

6 comments:

Helenchaffin said...

I have a best friend of 18 years, we're the same age & shy two years of embarking into our 70's lol

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Knowing that there is someone who you can call anytime, for any reason, that is 'there' for you is special. I have one friend like that, just lost another one, and have one pretty close to that, so I've been lucky.

Patty McDonald said...

Having a close friend is a gift!! About 27 years ago, I led a women's quilting group through our church. I met so many lovely ladies but only 2 became close friends. I did that for 3 years. Since that time, I've invited these 2 ladies to my home every Friday to sew. We've added 3 other friends over the years. We pray for one another and truly hurt when another one is hurting.

Anne Kirby said...

I'm blessed. I've known my friend Lynn since we moved in next door when I was 5. 58 years ago!!

Maureen said...

I took your suggestion and wrote a letter to my grade school friend. Lovely post

Sarah said...

I have a circle of close friends, longtime friends that I cherish more and more each day. I lost my bestest friend ever a year ago. My husband was my closest dearest friend for 47 years. I feel lost most days, but my circle of friends around me hold me up. Yes, I have written to them, told them many times - I dearly love each and appreciate the years we have shared a special friendship.
This is a wonderful post Thank you!