Thursday, April 9, 2009

It was interesting........

I found it very interesting that many of the comments that were left concerning how to display your quilts, don't actually use the quilts you make. I like to use my quilts as a part of decorating. As a landscape in my home. I change them as the seasons change, or the mood, whichever comes first.


They are in baskets, on tables, as well as hanging from the walls. Looking at several art quilters websites, they show displays of their homes, and how they use their quilts to enhance a room or a bed. Funny thing is that I don't use the quilts on my beds. My youngest son is the only one who uses his dinosaur quilt every night.

We used to have a quilt rack in our living room, but I found that it took up too much space and did not really display the quilts as much as I liked. So I have enjoyed rotating the quilts for the different seasons of the year.

With no grandchildren in the near future, and a sister in love who makes some very beautiful quilts, there are few family members that receive quilts that I make. There was a time when I made a lot of charity quilts for Operation Home Front Quilts, and for the local children's hospital, until I kind of burned out on them. Now I try to make projects that are enjoyable during construction as well as becoming a part of my home. There are a few gift items on the burner right now, and hopefully I can get back to teaching beginners. It is always such a delight to watch a beginner toddle off and blossom into a quilt fanatic. Many have far exceeded my abilities.

5 comments:

Crispy said...

After almost 20 years of quilting, I have only 3 finished quilty things in my house. I give everything away. I have finally reached the point where I want to be able to display quilts/wallhangings and the designs I want to do will be MUCH more time consuming. I don't think others would appreciate them as much as I would.

Crispy

Unknown said...

I think that most of us just make quilts for the love of creating a one of a kind unit that is loved by lots of people, but not as much as the person that makes it.
I don't have many in stock for instance and will probably give a couple more away this weekend...the daughter is coming!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Love how your rotate your quilts - they are too beautiful to be packed away !

Lindsey said...

You smart cookie...that keeps things interesting with your decor, I'll bet. By the way, I've had great exchange with your friend...I've even used one of her e-mails as devotion for today...very amazing

Micki said...

I love the way you use your quilts for your decor. Lovely!
Micki