Friday, October 13, 2023

Patience or quit?

 Several years ago, we made these bags with the fancy zippers. So I thought I would make a few for teacher gifts. It didn't really go well.

The first one I tried I used a tutorial that was pretty complicated. 


Although it turned out looking nice, it used fleece as a lining, and I found it was difficult to sew through all the layers.

So the next tutorial I used was from Missouri Star.


It looked so floppy, even when I tried boxing the corners. I took it apart and put the zipper at the top, thinking it would make a difference.


It looked a little better, but the zipper did not close correctly. 

So what to do? Struggle with fleece or just let it go, and don't try to make any more :-(


                                       Needle and  Thread Thursday  
                       
                                      Sew and Tell

                                      Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?

                                      Finished or not Friday

                                      Peacock Party

8 comments:

CathieJ said...

I would let it go.

dgs said...

I have never made a zipper bag lined with fleece. It does sound like it would be challenging to turn. For the larger one with boxed corners I'm wondering if it needed some sew stable (by Annie) lining to help keep the box shape? I've only used it a few times, but have had good luck with it for bags.

And, I still have, use and love the little zipper bag you made me years ago. It still looks like new too!

Mari said...

Your fabric is lovely, and all three bags look just fine to me. Maybe a little bit of (very) lightweight interfacing would give it the body you want. Otherwise, fill it up with some M-and-Ms and no one will notice! :)

JustGail said...

The project bags I made, I used a heavy, stiff interfacing. No idea what brand or anything, it was a garage sale score. But I did not have to try and turn it inside out. The back is quilted together, the front is assembled with vinyl and zipper, put them together and fold the back fabric around to hold it all together.

Personally, I'd forego the bags, especially if they are not going well. Yes, I know, it's nice to make them something, but what teachers really need is classroom items, that they often spend their own money on. At least that's how it is in Iowa.

JustGail said...

One thought about fleece - can the "fluff" be trimmed/shaved down so only the knit base is remaining in the seam allowance? Sort of like is done with fake fur sometimes. If so, maybe that would reduce the bulk in the seams.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Well I have no patience - so you know what that means haha
But I like what you have come up with so far!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Fuse some interfacing to the top fabric. That will give it some body, and you don't have to use fleece or batting unless you really want to. Batting is thinner than fleece.

Melva said...

You are braver than I... Zippers and I don't get along fabulously, so I try to avoid at any cost. ;) Though I am stubborn enough to stick with it and get it done. Best of luck! Thanks for sharing in my Sew & Tell linky party.