Friday, August 21, 2009

What's in a name?

You know that sometimes a name will conjure up pictures in your mind. Past experience will start the mind computer and run the video.

A rose will conjure up this -


For sewers the name Bernina brings something like this to mind -


Let's just say "Paducah" and what do you think of?? Well if you have been there, and you are a quilter, you think of the annual Quilt show. Or the Quilting museum. We don't tend to think of all the historical background of this little town.

Or if I were to say Ford or Chevy, somehow I don't think this is the picture that you would conjure up in your mind ..........

And of course there are some double meanings for certain names. I mean after all, I am sure the people at NASA do NOT consider a UFO to have anything to do with textile ;-)

Names are important. They hold in place either a person, a place, or even a thing. And they bring to mind a history or a memory.

I have read somewhere that a person's name is the sweetest sound. Have you ever noticed when you are in a crowded room, that if someone calls your name, you will turn and look. Or respond in some way.

I have an unusual name. It has always caused a tongue stumble for most people. I remember when I was a little girl how people would stumble over my name. I have been called Jacklyn, Joycelyn, Joshelin and many other variations. I've learned through the years to just answer if they are anywhere close. I have a nickname that I'm called by my family and friends, but there is always an explanation that goes along with it.

I guess for years I did not like my name, but it was mostly because people would (excuse the expression) butcher it. I liked my nickname as it was easier and I felt like it could just roll of the tongue. So much so that now when people call me by my "real" name it sometimes feel odd, or like it isn't really me. As I have gotten older, I am feeling more comfortable in my own skin and now I enjoy my name. It is unique, and you don't hear it everywhere you go.

So I just had to get on my bandwagon. It's been hard to not do things while I wait for my foot to heal. It is my driving foot, which also is my machine driving foot :-( I hope you don't mind my banter :-) It's nice to have a place to share thoughts, even when they are not quilt related.

Have a wonder filled day.

13 comments:

Crispy said...

I enjoyed your ramblings today Jocelyn. Some of my favorite words are Home, Family, Friends...they invoke different images for everyone but sure can warm a heart.

Crispy

Cindy said...

I like my name, always have I guess. I've had nicknames - some good, some not-so-good. But all and all my fondest memory is when Dad used to call me "Cinders" because no one else in my little girl world called me that back then.

Barb said...

That one mural is amazing...and well...banter away....we will listen.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Great ramblings - and much to think about.

I agree with the name thing - and mine has been butchered so much I sometimes forget who I am. LOL And the spelling - I've finally take to saying - "JoAnn - two words - no eees thank you" and yet they still get it wrong.

The worst is when I fill out a form and someone feels that the need to correct the spelling of my name - crazy world.

Love the photos that go with your post today.

Allie said...

Boy can I relate to this. You never heard the name Allison when I was growing up - I always knew, if I heard my name, it was me they were looking for.
Suddenly, the name became popular - I'd be out shopping, and someone would scold "ALLISON!" and I would almost drop to the floor, thinking they were yelling at me. It was usually a small child, lol.
I changed it to Allie years ago - got so tired of hearing AlliSIN.

Jennwith4 said...

Lovely post!

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

I am sorry that your foot is still bothering you. I do hope it is better than it was and will be all healed up soon so you can "drive" that sewing machine.

Terri said...

Well I have enjoyed your "ramblings"....
Hope you up on your feet soon.

an encourager said...

This might give you something to reach for (or laugh at). In one of my first quilting classes, the teacher said, "REAL quilters use their left foot to run the foot pedal of their machines." Now... there is zero logic to that. However, being an impressionable (yet old) new quilter, I immediately switched feet. To this day, I use the foot pedal with my left foot. Since you are one-footed... maybe you'll get a laugh out of switching sides and becoming a 'real quilter'. :)

Michelle said...

Jocelyn I hope you start feeling better soon. Thanks for cheering me on, I do appreciate it!I have always loved my name, even as a child. Rarely do people spell it correctly the first time so for awhile I was 2L Michelle. I enjoyed you rambling. I really think I'm going to enjoy blogging! Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hello Jocelyn,

What a fun post! Your name is quite pretty, I think! :)

I love that you are also a dishaholic! ;)

Dena said...

While I was growing up, I can remember meeting one other person who shared my name and like you, people rarely pronounce it correctly. Of course, now that I'm older, I've met several people who are also named Dena and most of them are about my age.

Hope your foot heals quickly so you aren't limited in your activities too much longer. I remember with mine I couldn't sew for about 4 months because it was difficult to elevate my foot while sewing. My foot just wouldn't co-operate. LOL

Candace said...

I could have written this post myself, at least the name part. The first days of school were always something to dread, as it seemed to be a ritual to stand and tell your name. Mine being Candace, and at that time one that no one had heard before I could always depend on hearing Canvas, Kansas, What? Most of my life I have gone by Candy, and I can still remember my mother saying that at some point I would be too old for that, and I'm sure that point was passed long ago, so for blogging, it is now Candace. On the other hand, once the dreaded time was passed, I kind of enjoyed the uniqueness of it and wasn't really too pleased to share it down the road.